Sunday, February 5, 2012

Twice Baked Butternut Squash with Quinoa and Gorgonzola

When I saw this on Pinterest I knew I had to try it. I changed a few things. But it is pretty close to the original recipe. It is DELICIOUS!
1 large butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used Jalapeno Olive Oil for a little kick)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese

Preheat oven to 400˚.

Slice butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds and pulp. Place each half cut side down on a foil lined jelly roll pan. Place in oven and bake until tender, about 60 minutes. Once done, remove and set aside.

In a medium pan heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add garlic to oil. Stir in quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer let cook until water is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.

Scoop out butternut squash. Place squash in a small casserole dish (I used a 6 x 8.) Mash with a fork. Stir in 1/2 of the gorgonzola cheese. Once quinoa is done mix it into the butternut squash. Sprinkle remaining gorgonzola cheese on top.

Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melting and top is beginning to brown.

No comments: